Monday 14 September 2015

Easy DIY dream catcher!!

 
 
Hiya guys!  Hope you are all having a great day! 

Sorry for not managing to get my post done for publishing last Monday…however it is up now and hopefully you will enjoy it!
 
So this week, I thought that I would add to a previous DIY post: ‘What you can do with leftover bits ‘n’ bobs’.  I had been meaning to make this at the time, but I ran out of material.  #craftyproblems!
 
Well, I managed to get my supplies and make this wee project!  So what I made was…a dream catcher!
 

 

It’s such an easy and fun DIY, as it you can design it any way you like and decorate it with bits and bobs you have lying around, like old jewellery/ribbons or string…and the usual feathers and beads associated with dream catchers.
  

So, other than that, all that was needed was: 

·        A round frame – can be anything, depending on the size of dream catcher you want to make.
·        Yarn – in any colour you want
·        Bits ‘n’bobs – feathers, beads, chains, string etc.
·        Glue
·        Scissors
 
 
Steps:
 
1.      For the round frame for my dream catcher I used a 25cm embroidery hoop, which I got from a haberdashery store for under a fiver (£5). 
 
 

 
 
I split the embroidery hoop into the two separate parts (basically loosening the outer hoop and taking the two hoops apart).  I decided to only use the inside of the hoop for my DIY, so I would end up with two hoops…and could make two dream catchers!! 
 
 

2.     I then chose the yarn I wanted for the inside of the dream catcher, the netting webby part, and cut a length to use. 
 

 
 

I didn’t measure the length I needed as I wasn’t sure.  But, if you end up with too short a piece then you can always attach extra to the end of the material by tying a square knot so the two pieces won’t come apart!
 
 
 
 

3.     The next step was to attach the yarn to the frame.  I did this with a square knot. 

 
 
 

Once attached to the frame, I wound the yarn around the frame and created several loops by single knotting the yarn on the frame (see picture below)
 

 
 

You can put as many or as little around the frame as you like.  What to remember is that the more you put around the frame, the smaller the loops are going to be when you get to the centre (which I found out the hard way!).    

So, the key is to make the loops loose and not to put a lot around the frame! 
 
 

4.     When that’s all completed, the next step is to put the yarn though all these loops and just go round and round until you get to the centre!

 
 

Make sure to tighten slightly as you go around.  That way you can see how the netting will look when completed.
 

 
 

5.     After the inside of the frame was finished, I went on to do the extra details of the dream catcher.
 

 

I started off by covering the wooden frame with white yarn, and I did this by winding it tightly, leaving no gaps, and using glue to keep the yarn in place. 
 
 

6.     Once that was done, it was onto the dream catcher details.  I decided to use green yarn, along with the pink and white, to create the strings. 
 
 
 

I wanted to do something extra with the yarn (as it would get all tangly since it is very thin yarn) so I made a crochet chain to create a thicker string of detail.
 

 

Another way to create the plaited look is just to do a regular plait! 

But, you can always just use thicker material, and just leave it as is, if you don’t want to worry about the strings getting tangled.   
 
 

7.     Lastly, to finish off the details I decided to add some old earrings to some of the strings and to the frame. 
 
 
  
 

And that was it!  Pretty easy!   

This was how my dream catcher turned out.
 
 
 
 
 

It’s quite a cool creative wee DIY as you can make it to suit your own style and décor of your bedroom! 

 

Anyway guys, I hope you enjoyed this post!  Thank you SO SO much for reading!! 

Have a fabulous day and as always, take care!! 
 

Lin xxx









No comments:

Post a Comment