Sunday 30 November 2014

Nail Art Designs - Old and New!


Hiya guys!  Happy last day of November!!  Hope you've all had a great week and are looking forward to the Christmas festivities!  I know I can’t wait to get a wee peppermint mocha and walk around Glasgow all wrapped up and cosy.

This week my post is about nails again – a couple of nail art designs I have completed.  More of a picture post, but I will do two tutorials near the end of the post on the designs I have come up with.  
 
I have done the designs on false nails as I’ve had no time to sit down and try them out on my own nails.  However, I’m still going to use them - I’m actually wearing the triangle mosaic design just now and I love it J 

Anyway, here are the nail designs...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have always just used nail polish for the arty details.
 
The tools I normally use are: 

-        Dotting tools – These are actually embossing tools but they were on sale in an art shop! I thought ‘why not try them as nail dotting tools?’  So I did, and I have used them ever since.  They are quite easy to use for nail designs.


 

(If you don’t want to spend a lot on nail art tools you can always
use cocktail sticks, old ball-point pens or Kirby grips as dotting tools.  
These are what I used when I started my nail art hobby.)
 
 
-        Paintbrushes - I bought two different-sized brushes - again from an art shop.  One is a size 10/0, the smallest, which is good for small details and fine lines.  The other is a size 0, which I cut to make a striper brush for long thin lines.
 

 
 

So, using these tools I created two nail designs this week, a triangle mosaic design and my favourite leopard/cheetah print design.  Below, I have explained the steps I took to create the nails.


 
Triangle Mosaic Nails
 
 
 
 
 
Steps:

1)     After shaping the nails to fit my own nails I put on one coat of very light blue/grey polish as the base.

2)     I picked six different colours: metallic dark grey, lilac, orangey red, light blue/green, teal and baby pink.  These were the colours I wanted for the triangles, but you can pick any colour you like.  You can also just use one colour for the triangles, if you prefer.

3)     I used the small 10/0 brush to paint the triangles in different sizes and shapes.
 
4)     After the triangles were dry, I put one coat of a translucent sparkly white glitter on top. Originally I wasn’t going to do this, but the nails were looking a little flat.  So I thought if I used this polish this would give them an edgier look.  

5)      Lastly, a final coat of clear nail polish sealed everything in!

 
 
Leopard/Cheetah Print Nails


 

Steps:

1)     I applied two coats of black nail polish.  One coat was too translucent and I wanted it more opaque.

2)     I chose to use gold nail polish for the detail as I quite like the contrast between the two colours - the gold is a bit glittery and it works well against the shiny black. 

3)     I then painted the leopard/cheetah spots on with the 10/0 brush.  

(Here is a step-by-step photo of how to do the leopard/cheetah print.  It is really easy to do, and it doesn’t have to be super neat either – it is much better if it isn’t too neat anyway as it gives it more character!)
 
 
 

4)     Once all the spots were dry, I put a coat of clear nail polish on top and…voila! Finished!
 

So that’s basically it!

Hopefully these little tutorials helped!  They are honestly quite easy to do, so have a go at it and see what you come up with! J 

Well, that’s my post for this week.  I’m looking forward to my upcoming posts in December - I’m going to try and keep to a Christmas theme…and am hoping they will inspire some of you out there! 

Okay guys, thanks for reading!  I really do appreciate it! 

Have a good week and I’ll catch you next week!  Until then…see ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment