Sunday 10 May 2015

DIY Macramé Bracelets!!

 
 
Hiya guys!  Happy Sunday!  Hope you’ve all had a great week!
 
I thought that this week I would do a wee post on making macramé bracelets or friendship bracelets!  These little gems are easy and fun to make, and make funky and quirky arm decorations!
 
This easy technique of cord/string knotting can also be used for things other than bracelets!  You can see what I made using the macramé square knot in my ‘What you can do with leftover bits ‘n’ bobs!’ post, where I made wall hangings and wind chimes using this technique.
 
 
 
 
These are a few bracelets I made last year, before I started up my blog.  And, since I have come up with a few other ideas recently, I thought I’d do a post and show you all.  I did have to refresh my memory on how to do macramé and, as usual, I will show the link to the video at the end of the post.
 
I'm not going to go through all the steps in detail, as the video is pretty explanatory, but I will show you photos of the material I used and the end results of this DIY!
 
 
 
What I used:
 
·       A variety of bits ‘n’ bobs: beads, rings and studs.
 
 
 
·       Cord, or 100% cotton yarn in my case.  Jewellery cord is probably better for these kinds of bracelets though, but the yarn worked quite well.
 
 
 
·       A sewing needle, glue and a glue spreader.  The needle is needed to sew the ends of the yarn into the strap - PVA glue would probably be better for this just to keep the yarn from coming out of the strap then you wouldn’t really need a glue spreader. 
 
 
 
·       A ruler for measuring the yarn and masking tape to keep the bracelet secure while knotting. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Finished Bracelets!!
 
 
 
 
I more-or-less just followed the steps from the tutorial to make the bracelets.
 
 
 
 
The only thing I did differently was to make just one long strap for two of the bracelets and use some fabric studs to hook the stud onto the bead/ring, therefore creating a fastening.
 
 
 
  
 
 
Below, are two of the most common types of fastening for friendship bracelets - the adjustable strap with the charm/bead/design in the centre.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Like I said at the start of the post, these are the wee gems of the bracelet world!  Like the name says, you can make them for your fabulous pals!  For yourself too…you can all have matchy matchy ones!  Or, just make them for yourself if you want some quirky arm decorations!
 
I really love macramé!  I actually have this old watch with a broken strap and I think I might make a macramé strap for it…that’s an idea!!
 
Anyway guys, thank you SO SO much for reading!  I hope you enjoyed this post J and I will catch you all next Sunday!
 
Have a fab week and take care! Xxx








YouTube source:
 
DIY Adjustable Macrame Arm Party Bracelets! by Katrinaosity


No comments:

Post a Comment