Sunday 14 June 2015

3 super cool DIY craft ideas using Duck Tape!!

 
 
Hiya guys!  Happy Sunday!  Hope you’ve all had a fab week!
 
I’ve had an equally chilled and busy week!  Had a good couple of days off where I managed to go out into town for a wee shopping trip with the sister…and the weather was lovely too, which was a bonus.  So we had a good stroll in the sun!
 
While we were in town we discovered this new art store - yaaass!  So, obviously we had to go in to have a wee nosy!  And I have to say it has waaaay more arty stuff than I have seen in any other art store I’ve been in!  It’s amazing!!!  My new favourite place for definite!
 
Anyway, as usual I over-buy when I go into a shop like that - I just can’t help myself.  So, I got a good haul of art supplies!  Including this fab colourful paint splat design duct tape by Duck.
 
I have seen a few Duck Tape crafts on pinterest some time ago and I thought it was pretty cool that folk were using the tape to make little crafty things!  Although, to be honest, it wasn’t one of those crafty projects that I had to rush out ASAP and get supplies and make some for myself.  However, when I saw them in this new art store, I thought  ‘Why not! I’m going to get a roll of tape and try it out!  See what I can make!’
 
As you probably have guessed by now, in this week’s post I’m going to be talking about what I made using the tape!
 
All I really needed for the following projects was:
 
 
 
 
·         Duck Tape.
·         A rotary cutter.
·         A ruler for a straight edge. 
 
 
 
Duck Tape crafty project #1:  Placemat and coaster!
 
 
 
 
I thought that this would be a cool idea for a nice summer placemat and coaster - a woven design idea with strips kept in place with a border of the tape.
 
 
 
For the placemat:
 
 
1.     Decide on a size for the mat, and figure out how many strips of tape will be needed.  In my case, it was 5 strips by 6 strips.
 
2.     Measure the size of one strip and make sure to double the length it as it will be folded over onto itself - sticky side to sticky side.  It’s a bit tricky to do this, but the key is to work very slowly and keep a steady hand.
 
3.     Once all the strips are made, start weaving them together (over and under, over and under), until the pattern looks like wee squares.
 
 
 
 
4.     Lastly, cut a small strip of the tape for the edges, to make a border to keep all the pieces in place.  If you need to, add a dot of glue in between the overlapping strips.
 
 
 
 
 
For the coaster:
 
 
Exactly the same as the placemat, only I cut the Duck Tape strip into thinner strips about 7mm wide.
 
1.     Decide on a size for the coaster.  In my case it was 10 strips by 10 strips.
 
2.     Measure the size of one strip and remember to double the length as it will be folded over onto itself.  Then mark 7mm along the short side of the strip (top and bottom) so that you can cut it into thin strips. The width of the tape is 49mm so, by cutting it into 7mm strips, you end up with 7 strips.  Do this two more times so you have enough strips for the coaster.
 
3.     Like the placemat, once all the strips are made, start weaving them together (over and under, over and under).
 
4.     Finish by taping the edges to keep all the pieces in place and using glue if you need to.   
 
 
Little coaster
 
 
Close up of the woven strips
 
 
 
 
Duck Tape crafty project #2:  Bookmark! 
 
 
 
 
I decided to make my bookmark 18cm in length so it is the right size for an average book.
 
 
1.     Just like the placemat and coaster, double the length of the tape and fold in half (sticky side to sticky side).
 
2.     Then, measure 5cm from the top and start cutting very thin strips down from the top, basically creating a fringe effect!
 
 
Fringe detail
 
 
Bookmark in use
 
 
 
 
Duck Tape crafty project #3:  Tassel key ring!
 
 
 
 
This idea stemmed from the bookmark fringe effect.  I thought it would be quite cool to make a tassel key ring!
 
 
1.     First, measure the size needed for the key ring, and just like the other two projects, double the length and fold the piece of tape in half to create the right size of material needed.  In my case, it was 15cm.
 
2.     Next, place the piece onto a cutting mat lengthways and measure 1cm from the top and, like the bookmark, cut very thin strips down from the top, all along the length until the end.
 
3.     After that, put a little bit of glue onto the key ring so that the tape won’t move when you start wrapping.  Then wind the tape around and around, adding little dots of glue every now and again, to secure it. 
 
4.     Once the tape is wound round, cut a small strip of tape to hold the top together.
 
 
 
Attachment to the keyring
 
 
The fringe detail
  
 
Added to the set of keys!
 
 
 
 
So you can see that you can use duct tape for loads of things other than fixing things!  Funky, eh? 
 
Anyway guys, thank you SO SO much for reading!  I really hope you enjoyed this post J and I will catch you all next time!
 
As always, have a fab week and take care! Xxx
 







No comments:

Post a Comment