Sunday 8 March 2015

Mother's Day DIY gift ideas!

 
 
Hiya guys!  Happy Sunday!  Hope you've all had a good day chilling out and getting set for the new week ahead!
 
I thought this week I would do a wee DIY gift ideas post because it’s Mother’s day next week.  So, if you aren’t sure what to get your fabulous mamas…maybe this will give you some inspo if you want to make something instead of buying!  
 
This is what I have done this year for Mama RJ and here is what I have made for her – scented candles and a personalised cup!
 
 
 
 
 
  
Personalised cup
 
This DIY is pretty cool once it’s complete!  Although I have to say I had a bit of a fail with it!  On the website that I got the instructions from, I failed to read the comments about what happened when other people tried this out – if I had, I would have discovered that it’s better to use oil based marker pens instead of just normal ink ones because the ink doesn’t last after washing.  As usual, the links to the websites are at the end of the post.
 
 
Moral of the story:
Read other people’s comment to see how they get on with DIY’s!
Preferably before you start the task!
 
 
Unfortunately, I realised I had used the wrong pens too late and couldn’t go into town to look for the right ones, as I was working a lot this week.  
 
However, I can still give this cup as a present to be used only as a decorative cup instead - such as a pencil holder or a little plant pot, maybe?
 
Anyway, these are the materials and steps I took to create the cup.
 
 
Materials:
 
 
 
 
-         Plain white cup (one that’s oven-proof)
-         Permanent markers – four different colours
-         Washi tape (I used this tape so it would be easy to peel off at the end)
 
 
 
Steps:
 
 
1.     I started off by sticking washi tape to the cup to create the shape of the letters.
 
 
 
 
2.     After that I used the markers (from lightest to darkest) to create the dots.  I made sure to keep the darkest colour closest to the edge of the tape.
 
 
 
 
 
3.     Next thing I did was peel the tape off the cup to reveal the letter.
 
 
 
 
 
That’s all that was needed for this decorative cup…
 
Note: if you use the right marker pens for this DIY then there will be a step 4 – baking the cup in an oven at about 170 degrees for 30 minutes.
 
 
 
Scented candles
 
Materials:
 
 
 
 
-         A pack of 24 tea light candles (separated, keeping all the wax, four metal containers and four wicks, discarding the rest)
-         100% essential oil – rose
-         A glass measuring jug
-         A ramekin dish
-         A long wick
 
 
 
Steps:
 
 
1.     I started by putting the wax into the measuring jug.
 
 
 
 
2.     Next, I placed the jug into a pot of boiling water (creating a double boiler) making sure the jug didn’t touch the bottom of the pot - like how you melt chocolate.
      Remember to be careful as water is boiling!!
 
3.     I then put about 20 drops of the rose essential oil into the wax as it was melting.  While waiting for the wax to melt completely, I set out the containers.
 
 
 
 
4.     Once all the wax was completely melted, I poured it into the containers very carefully.
 
5.     Lastly I let the candles cool overnight to dry.
 
 
 
To package it all up and make it pretty, I just used red ribbon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Well, I hope you have enjoyed this post and that it has given you some ideas for a making a homemade gift.  Remember, though, to get the right markers if you want the ink to stay on the cup after washing.  I will definitely be trying this DIY again when I get the right pens, because it is such a cool, creative idea!
 
Thank you so much for reading.  I really appreciate it!
 
I will catch you all next Sunday!
 
Have a fab week guys and take care! Xxx
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sources:
 
 
Easy dotted sharpie mugs by Designer trapped in a lawyer’s body
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment