Sunday 15 March 2015

Crafty ideas: easy peasy projects using ink pads and home-made stamps!!

 
 
Hiya guys!  Happy Sunday and to all you mamas out there...
 
 
 
 
Hope you are having a relaxing day today and are sitting with your feet up and being spoilt rotten!
 
I’ll be working most of the day today so I won’t be able to spend time with Mama RJ but I have a day out planned for later on in the week where my sister and I will treat her to lunch and a spot of shopping!
 
So, last week I did a DIY gift idea post for presents you could make for Mother’s Day, and I made a personalised cup…which didn’t go as planned because I had used the wrong pens!  You can read about this in last week’s post.  I unfortunately couldn’t find the right pen in enough time to design another cup in time for Mother’s Day.  However, as a friend gave me one of their spare oil based markers (Cheers pal J), I can redo this DIY and give Mama RJ a cup for her birthday next week instead!  YAY!
 
Anyway, I had better get started on this week’s post!!  I thought I would make use of the ink pad I had found in my craft supplies a couple weeks ago, and see what I could make using it.  As stated on the underside of the ink pad, you can used the ink on paper, fabric, wood, clay and more.  Its fab, you can be totally crafty with it!

For the things I made this week, I made my own stamp designs to use.  If you don’t want to make your own stamps, you can buy them in art shops and online too.  You can even use things you can find around the house e.g. bottoms of bottles, pencil top erasers, jewellery, veggies!  I saw on Pinterest that someone had cut a piece of okra and used that as a stamp!  It creates a sort of flower design which is quite cool.
 
So, before I show you all what I made, I’ll talk about what I used to make my stamps.

  

First stamp  

For this first stamp, I chose to make a pineapple design, because I love pineapples!  I thought I would try using foam board for it, as I still have quite a few sheets leftover from my uni days.
 
 
Steps:
 
1.      Drew my design onto the board.
 
2.      Cut it out using a scalpel (carefully).
 
3.      Stuck it to another piece of foam board.
 
4.      Then added extra detail, e.g. lines. 
 
 
 
 
 
The top of the design was a bit tricky to cut out as whenever the blade got to the pointy bit, the foam split and broke - this was probably because my scalpel blade is a little blunt, though.  I tried a few times and eventually got a good top to the pineapple but I didn’t like the design when I tried the stamp out.  I just didn’t think it looked very pineapple-y!
 
 
 
 
However, I suppose if you were wanting a simple design with not too much detail, this foam board would be really good to use.
 
 
 
Second stamp
 
I still wanted to make a pineapple shape, so this second one I made was basically an improved version - Pineapple stamp 2.0!  I decided to use an eraser for this one, and more or less used the same steps as for the foam board stamp.
 
 
Steps:
 
1.     Drew my design onto the eraser.
 
2.     Using a scalpel, I cut around the design.  Making sure to cut quite a bit into the eraser (being careful again).
 
3.     Then I carefully sliced away the outer edge of the eraser, removing the excess and leaving the main shape – this should be higher than the rest of the eraser, ultimately creating the stamp.
 
4.     Then add extra detail, e.g. lines and holes.
 
 
 
 
That was all that was needed to make the stamp!  Pretty easy!  I tried this version out and it definitely made a nicer design, so this is the one that I used!

 
Now, onto what I created using my home-made stamps and the ink pad!
 
  
 
A pineapple design cushion cover!
 
 
 
 
 
Using the eraser stamp, I decided to make an ombré design using the ink pad - darker at the bottom and fading toward the top - therefore only having to dip the stamp onto the ink pad once until it fades.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A leopard print jar! 
 
I wanted to see what else I could do using the ink pad, as it states the ink can be used on glass I thought I would try it out on the outside of a glass jar.  Again I made two little leopard spot stamps: one using a small eraser for the big spot and the other using a pencil topped eraser for the little dot spot.
 
 

 
 
At first I thought this wasn’t going to work as the ink was a little smudgy, but on the underside of the pad it reads that on glossy surfaces the ink will have to be heat sealed.  I couldn’t get a shot of the oven at the time I made this, so I used a hair dryer instead!  I put it to the highest heat setting and blasted the jar for a few minutes focussing on the inked parts - careful though, because obviously the jar heats up!
 
This set the ink enough to stop it from smudging with your fingers…but when I tried to wipe it with water the ink came off.  If you read my last post, you will realise that I kinda made the same mistake again!  DOH!  I think I should probably just start assuming that if it isn’t displayed on the packet, the ink will be water based!
 
Nevertheless, this little jar would make a nice little candle holder, so I think I will just have to use it for that!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Other ideas!
  
Seriously, there are loads and loads of uses for the inkpad:
 
 
·         Scrapbooking
 
 
 
·         Place name cards for dining
 
 
 
 
·         Business cards
 
·         Fabric: blankets, curtains, tees, jeans, tea towels etc.
 
·         Glass: jars, vases etc.
 
·         Plant pots
 
 
 
Literally, anything!  And there are loads of different colours, so you can be as colourful and creative as you want!  Create to your heart’s content!!
 
Well, I hope you have enjoyed reading this week’s post and that it has inspired you to go out and buy an ink pad and get creative!  
 
I will catch you all next week with my regular Sunday posts!
 
Have a fab week guys and take care! Xxx

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment