Sunday 26 October 2014

Stuck on how you want to decorate a room? Here's a wee design tip that can help you get your ideas together!


Hiya folks, hope you've all had a good Sunday chilling out and getting set for the new week ahead! 

This week I'm going to give you a wee interior design tip!  Something that can be done fairly quickly and easily, and can help you when deciding how you want to decorate a room!  It's a Mood Board!!! 


What is a Mood Board?

A Mood Board is basically a collection of images and materials on a board to help you put across what kind of atmosphere, style or concept you are after.

It's a great thing to help you collect your ideas in one space and to visualise how you want the room to look in the end.

You can also use specific keywords when creating the board, for example 'warm and natural' or 'modern and futuristic', which can help when you are collecting inspirational images for your board.


How do you make a Mood Board?

It's really easy to make a mood board.  There are two types: actual and virtual.  The actual mood board is one that has pictures taken from magazines and the like.  The virtual mood board is produced on a computer/tablet.

PowerPoint can be used to create a virtual mood board because you can make up a page of images of materials and products from the internet that you can use in your design.


 
 
  
 
An example of a PowerPoint Mood Board I made to
help a friend get some inspiration for decorating their room 
 
Pinterest is another good way to create a virtual mood board because you can easily search for images on the site and create a board specifically for a room by pinning them onto that board!  That way you can see what images you have gathered all in one space.  You can check out my Pinterest page (link on the right!) and see the boards I have created - just to give you an idea.
I do love Pinterest!  I'm always on it and pinning things all the time.  I prefer to make actual mood boards though, probably because I had to do that for Uni design projects but also, as I said in my last post, I love collaging!!!  I like to sit down, tear out images from magazines and stick them down onto a board with swatches and samples, and create an actual board in front of me!  As well as seeing the images you have chosen, the samples give you an idea of what the materials and finishes you have chosen will actually feel like!
Here are some examples of my Mood Boards used at Uni:
 


 

Mood boards aren't just for interior design!

That's right, you can make a mood board for anything: from outfit ideas to party planning to explaining what kind of person you are etc.  


A Mood Board I created when I
started College to show who I am
 
 
Like the interior design version, it is good because it helps you to put together your ideas and figure out what you want.
 
So, in a nutshell, mood boards are a FAB thing that are easy to make to help you out if you are stuck, or are overloaded with ideas, or just to keep you on track!
 
Okay, so that's me.  I hope this helps!  If anyone is redecorating, try making a mood board!  Let me know what you think!  Give it a go and let me know if it does help!
 
Thanks for reading, folks!  I'll be back next week with my usual Sunday blog post.  
Until then...see ya!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment