Sunday 23 November 2014

Crocheting: my first attempt!

 
Hiya guys!  How are you all doing?  I hope you've all had a great week!
 
I’ve been busy working away, but when I had spare time I was making something to blog about this week. A crocheted scarf!
 
Not that long ago I decided I really wanted to learn how to crochet.  Ever since I was wee, my mum has always crocheted loads of blankets and I was always fascinated by how fast she would use the hook to wind the wool into itself and create something.  I remember watching her and wondering how it was done!
 
My mum learned how to crochet by watching her older cousin doing it when she was young.  She just learned the basics of crocheting and from there went on to make the designs that she used!  Basically just winging it, seeing what worked and what didn’t.
 
The blankets are massive so I couldn’t take a full photo of them, so I just took close ups of the designs. They must have actually taken months and months to make!  Woah!
 
 
 
 
 
 
She starts a blanket by making little patches and joining them up as she goes.  Here is a photo of one of the wee patches.
 
 
 
 
I tried to copy how my mum does this, but to be honest, I couldn’t do it!  It was really difficult.  So I thought I would see if I could find a YouTube tutorial for beginners.  Something fairly easy that I could start off with - the link to the tutorial is at the end of this post.
 
So on Monday this week, when out shopping in town with my sister, I saw this lovely Sirdar cotton dk yarn in Darling Bud and I had to get it.  I can’t really work with wool too often as it irritates my skin (as I’m allergic to dust mites and have eczema L) so I thought I would try using this 100% cotton yarn to see if maybe it would be okay with my skin.  So far, it is better than using wool yarn!  I’ll see how this goes!
 
 
 
 
Anyway, I used a US H8/5.00mm crochet hook to make my scarf with this yarn.
 
Here is the progress I made this week.
 
 


 

 
Since I wasn’t sure about how the yarn would work with my skin, I only bought one ball.  However since it was only a 100g ball and 232 yards in length, I ran out so my scarf isn’t totally finished…yet.  I will definitely buy more yarn, maybe two more balls, so I can make the scarf wider so it can be used when it gets colder!  Hopefully I can get it all finished before the start of December.
 
Pastel colours don’t really suit me so I said to my sister that this can be hers when it’s all finished!
 
I think I did pretty well…for a beginner!  I do quite enjoy crocheting, so I might keep at it.  Also, just to mention, I also tried my hand at knitting earlier this year and made an arm-knitted infinity scarf and a blanket too.  I don’t have a clear image of the blanket but you can get an idea of what I did.
 
 
 
 
 
 
This was when I found out that wool affected my skin, so I now try to keep clear of it so that my hands will be happy!
 
So that’s basically it for this week’s post guys.  I would say if you like trying new crafty things, give crocheting a go!  It very cool once you’ve actually made something.  I am actually quite proud of myself for managing to crochet something!  Hopefully I can try out different designs and end up making loads of blankets like my mama!  J  We’ll see!
 
Well, I’ll catch you all next week with my usual Sunday post!  Thanks for reading guys!!
 
Until next time…see ya!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
YouTube video source:
 
Easy Crochet Infinity Scaft Tutorial by iheartstitching
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment